Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Origin of St. Valentine
The origin of St. Valentine, and how many St. Valentines there were, remains a mystery. One opinion is that he was a Roman martyred for refusing to give up his Christian faith. Other historians hold that St. Valentine was a temple priest jailed for defiance during the reign of Claudius. Whoever he was, Valentine really existed because archaeologists have unearthed a Roman catacomb and an ancient church dedicated to Saint Valentine. In 496 AD Pope Gelasius marked February 14th as a celebration in honor of his martyrdom.

Valentine's quotes...you know how I love quotes...

I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon. ~Author Unknown

Love is a symbol of eternity. It wipes out all sense of time, destroying all memory of a beginning and all fear of an end. ~Author Unknown

Grow old with me! The best is yet to be. ~Robert Browning

I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach. ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Take away love and our earth is a tomb. ~Robert Browning


The eskimos had fifty-two names for snow because it was important to them: there ought to be as many for love. ~Margaret Atwood

"Love conquers all."
...Virgil

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sending the links and for your thoughts. I have saved them all in my Favorites. Hope you had a Valentine's Day filled with joy!

    ReplyDelete